Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I'm glad I married you.

Sometimes I look at my husband and can't help but think that the decision I made to marry him is far more reaching that I have ever realized.

This man is amazing, in so many ways.  But one that really stands out  as I watch him is how hard working he is, not just in his chosen career but more especially at home.  Everyday he puts in his hours at work, comes home and tirelessly does more work, work, work.  From all sorts of home renovation projects like flooring, bathroom overhaul, kitchen magic, home theater awesomeness, to plumbing, car maintenance and car repainting.  Oh and he even cooks, cleans, organizes, does laundry and grocery shopping on a regular basis.  Seriously.

What people don't know is most of the work he does are things he has never done before, like fixing a water heater, a leak, or replacing a garbage disposal.  He has a gift of learning and creativity. He has the patience to learn things from scratch and research as much as he can to know better, to do better, to be better. 

Many times, I hear people say, "What can't your husband do?"  Our neighbor after seeing Adney work day after day told me once, "You didn't know you won a big prize when you married your husband, didn't you."  And he was right, I didn't.  I remember when we were still dating and I was unsure and just about called it quits.  Actually, he thought I did.  I was still living in Utah then, he in Arizona.  He drove to Utah that weekend to be with me.  After I told him I wasn't sure about how I felt, he bid his farewell to everybody else but me!  One of our good friends wisely called to tell me that Adney had left and driven back to Arizona.  I panicked.  I just remember feeling like life left me that night.  I wasn't sure about how I felt until he walked away.  So I called him and told him that we ought to talk about it more.  And he agreed.

In between all the work that he does, he finds time to constantly surprise me with the sweetest little things in life.  Like always filling up my tank at night so I wouldn't have to wake up early to do so the following day.  He leaves me money for lunch in my car because he knows I will forget my wallet one of these days.  He buys me things I didn't even know he knew that I liked.  He's observant and thoughtful beyond I can ever ask for.

I could have missed my chance of a lifetime.  And boy, I'm glad I didn't.  I don't know if I will ever know how far reaching his influence is--his life, his love, his sacrifices, his obedience, his diligence and his work, in this life and in the eternities to come.  I don't know if I will ever grow to be as hard working as this man.  I just know that some day when we have kids, if they will even be just half as diligent as their father, they will turn out fine.

PS. Written in our garage (Rose Garden Ln) as I watch my husband polish his car and see every neighbor slow down as they drive by to see what he's working on this time.  They're always curious to see what's he's working on next. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment